Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving and other stuff

WARNING: this post ended up being long. Sorry! Here is the gist of it: vote tomorrow, weekend was nice, turkey is good, so are friends and family.

Let's take care of the other stuff 1st - don't forget to vote tomorrow! I won't tell you who to vote for, but it is important you do vote. And plus, if you don't, you can't complain. And what fun is a gov't if you can't complain about them? See if you vote for the people who don't get in you can say "if only the people I voted for got in..." and if you vote for the people who get in you can either say "I can't believe the people I voted for did that" or "I can't believe the opposition is going off about that again..." see - the possibilities!

That having been said - Happy Thanksgiving! We had a good but busy weekend. I look forward to next weekend which so far has no plans attached to it.

Saturday we had a mini-Thanksgiving dinner with Chris and Ronnie and the kids. It was a lot of fun, and good food. Ronnie did mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and salad, I did roast chicken, and roast cauliflower, stuffing and dessert. There was plenty left - it was a good test run though b/c we certainly took a lot less on our plates for our actual turkey dinner today. After dinner Duncan sat on the bed with Iain and "helped" him play Sonic. It was so cute - Iain gave him a controller that wasn't connected to the game and D was madly pressing buttons and saying "Whoa!!!" a lot. All 3 of the kids we're awesomely behaved - it was good to spend some time with them. Oh and after we watched "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-long Blog" as we're been going on about it for some time. C&R loved it too (well they acted like they did!).

Oh, and as an aside, David and Genevieve and Caspian came over for a short visit Saturday afternoon! We hadn't seen them since G was still expecting with C, and C is now about 15 months old! Way too long. It was wonderful to see them and we're glad they thought of us.

Today I was in charge of the turkey. Actually this is our normal Thanksgiving thing now. Mom and Dad weren't around until today, so Mom get's all the fixin's, but I actually do the cooking. It turned out well - yay! And it scares me but I now no longer need any direction on how to cook a turkey. I said to Mom "I do this and this and this and this and this, right?" and yep, that was it. So I'm a big girl now - I know how to cook a turkey. LOL! One year I screwed up the stuffing (put way too much salt in it - oops!) and one year the turkey had a blood clot in it (ewww!) so half of it didn't cook! Mom got a refund on that one - so not my fault.

This afternoon we were at Mom and Dad's. Small crowd, Mom and Dad, Jeff and Shell, Sean and us. Duncan was really well behaved and he'd just learned how to say Uncle Sean, Uncle Jeff, and Auntie Shelley the day before, so you could tell they were all tickled by that. And D totally took to Uncle Jeff. No surprise there - Jeff is just awesome with kids - he's the kind of uncle every kid should have. But also when Sean was leaving Duncan went down and gave him a huge hug and a kiss. Sweet! Not bad for an Uncle he doesn't get to see too often (maybe a few times a year).

And now we're home, digesting. Duncan is fast asleep (I just realized, he's not babbling any more), Bill is playing WOW, and I'm deciding what I'm going to do now :) Good night!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend too! But so busy - when the weekend is so busy - it almost makes going back to work a rest!

I too cooked today- I cooked dinner together with a friend, Gwen, and my sister in law, Sylvia - we cooked for 25!

And now I am tired and ready to go to bed!

Have a good week!

PrincessButtercup said...

TOTAL LOL @ now I am a big girl. I have been making Turkeys since I was 23 and called every time to my mom in Ontario until I was 29!!! I totally felt like an adult the first time I put a bird in and did all the stuffing and tressing without having to call a Mom or Dad for help. Glad you had such a good weekend. I will be blogging in a bit that is, if Paige is still sleeping in my lap and gives me the chance to ;)