Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Toddler in the Kitchen

It’s been a lot of fun as Duncan is taking a total interest in helping me in the kitchen. I won’t let him near the stove, but when I’m making other things, he’s right in there. In the morning when we’re making toast and coffee he gets to put the bread in the toaster and push the button down and he gets to turn on the coffee maker. When I’m baking he loves to help me stir it all up.
Our attempts to let him add ingredients hasn’t been too successful. Monday morning he wanted to add the coffee, but while his coordination is getting better it’s not so great yet, so that ended up being a little messy – but that’s okay!
I really want Duncan (and Bean when he/she is old enough) to enjoy being in the kitchen and I totally want to encourage them to get in there, help, and eventually do it on their own. Think back to when you were a kid. At least for me I was baking cookies on my own I’d say from the time I was 8 on up (Mom can correct me on this) and I always knew how to make Kraft Dinner, ramen noodles etc to make my own lunch. By the time I think I was 12 we all took turns one night a week making dinner. Yeah it was often fish sticks and tater tots, or chili, or on Jeff’s night pizza from 222 (he worked there and it was free), but I think it made us all at least a little competent in the kitchen.
I think to my college roomie Julie who I think was making dinner from the time she was 6 years old when Mom and Dad were busy or not home. I think we shy away quite a bit allowing kids to be in the kitchen because a. it can be a dangerous place and b. it’s easier and quicker to do it on our own. I’m really hoping I can keep that from happening in our house.

No comments: