Sunday, October 18, 2009

Vegetable Soup

Duncan received a book a while back from Theresa called "Vegetable Soup" by Ann Morris. For the life of me I can't find a direct link to this book online. Oh, he received a bunch of books from her, but he is particularly keen on this one. Going to Peek-A-Book at the library (baby story time) I learned that many children's book have a rhythm to them to read aloud. So, reading this book, we put our own rhythm to it, and it totally works.

Having read the book many, many times, we rather have it memorized (like many parents do with many books). So, with the weather turning cooler, we decided it was time to make it.

Put some water in a pot (we added the water last)
then add some more you'll need a lot.
Add fresh carrots, celery, beans
sweet potatoes and mustard greens (we didn't add mustard greens, but upon reflection I could have added some kale)
Stir in onions, tomatoes too (we used tomato sauce instead)
add green peas, you'll need a few
A bit of parsley is very nice (we didn't add parsley, I don't like it)
with salt and pepper for the spice (I used salt and Mrs. Dash)
Cook it slowly on low heat.
Simmer until it's time to eat.
When the carrots lose their crunch,
then you'll know it's time for lunch.
SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP.
It's time for sipping vegetable soup!

(and might I add, it's rather yummy!).

No comments: